CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS ELMER SCHOOLEY SHORT STORY CONTEST
NOTE DEADLINE DATE FOR ENTRIES CHANGED TO JULY 1, 2022
The Elmer Schooley Short Story Prize is a writing competition sponsored by the Las Vegas Literary Salon, made possible by the generous donation from Lorenzo Martinez of five Elmer Schooley prints. The print shown has been chosen by the Las Vegas Literary Salon to be the subject of short story entries. We’re looking for good writing and creative panache!
What does this image conjure in your mind? Write that in a short story of 2,000 words or less and submit. Cash prizes of $300 each will be awarded to the three top-rated entries. Prize-winning stories and qualifying submissions will be those that best reflect the hidden stories behind the image. Qualifying submissions among non-winners will be included in an Elmer Schooley Short Story Prize Anthology along with the top three winners. Authors included in the anthology will receive one free copy of the book.
- The story must be original, unpublished fiction, written in English by the submitting author. Copyright remains the property of the author. We do accept simultaneous submissions. However, we ask that the writer notify us if the story is accepted for publication or wins an award or places in any way in another competition prior to our announcement of the winners in this competition.
- The story submitted must be inspired by the Schooley print.
- Submitted manuscript should be 2,000 words or less and have a title.
- File should be a Microsoft Word doc or docx, 12-point font, preferably Times Roman, and double spaced.
- The short story manuscript must be submitted digitally as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, with SHORT STORY in the subject line. The author’s name should not appear on the story. Entries will be judged anonymously by an independent reader/judge. Each story must be accompanied by a separate cover sheet — which should be the first page of the document — with the writer’s name, complete mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, the title of the story, and the word count
- Submissions must be emailed by July 1, 2022, 12 midnight MST. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Immediate family members of reader/judge (first-round or final) are ineligible for cash prizes.
PLEASE NOTE: IF WITHIN TWO WEEKS OF SENDING IN YOUR SUBMISSION YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT BY LAS VEGAS LITERARY SALON,
CALL 505 617-0839 OR EMAIL FSVANDERMEER@GMAIL.COM.